National Cheng Kung University (NCKU), established as “Tainan Technical College” in 1931, has evolved itself into one of the most established comprehensive universities in Taiwan. The NCKU teaching and researching system has 9 colleges (College of Liberal Arts, College of Sciences, College of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, College of Planning and Design, College of Management, College of Medicine, College of Social Sciences, and College of Bioscience and Biotechnology), 43 undergraduate programs, 75 master’s degree programs, 54 doctoral programs, and 78 master’s degree for working professionals.
City: Tainan (Population: 1,883,451)
Country: Taiwan (Population: 23,404,243)
Academic Programs in English
Exchange students are eligible for free Chinese language courses. (3 hours per week, No-credit course)
: The language of instruction is Chinese. The following programs have substantial portions taught in English.
- International Master Program on Natural Hazards Mitigation and Management
- International Bachelor Degree Program on Energy (IBDP-E)
- The International Curriculum for Advanced Materials Program (iCAMP)
- International Master Program of Civil Engineering and Management
- Institute of Creative Industries Design (ICID) for Master’s Program
- Institute of International Management (IIMBA) for Master’s Program
- Department of Nursing for Master’s Program in the College of Medicine
After students have been accepted to NCKU, they will be prompted by email to proceed to finish their accommodation application online. Please note that on-campus accommodation is not guaranteed and students will be responsible for their own housing expenses, unless specified differently in an agreement. To have a quick review of NCKU on-campus dormitory designated to exchange students, please visit Ching 3 Dorm online.
OIA provides advice on finding off-campus accommodation upon request. Students may consider Prince Hall, which serves NCKU students exclusively with better accommodations. In this case, students will have to apply by themselves, since it belongs to a private sector.
In accordance to student exchange agreement, an exchange student, with nomination, needs to pay tuition fees to his/her home university rather than to the host university. Students, who apply with no nomination, or are from universities that have no student exchange agreement with NCKU, will need to pay tuition fees to NCKU as a foreign student.
Student Dormitory: $13,700 NTD (approx. $449.33 USD) per semester (subject to change)
Off-Campus: $3,500 - $8,500 NTD (approx. $114.79 - $278.78 USD) per month
Living expenses range from $6,000 to $10,000 NTD (approx. $196.79 to $327.98 USD) per month, depending on individual lifestyle.
Mandatory NCKU Student Group Insurance
Each student is required to join NCKU student group insurance at around NT$200 (approx. $6.56 USD) for one semester upon registration.
Private Overseas Insurance
All exchange students need to purchase their own overseas insurance in their home country before departure. A copy of valid insurance summary is required for registration at NCKU.
Students admitted to an exchange student program must apply for a Taiwan (ROC) visitor visa prior to entering Taiwan, and when necessary, apply for a visa extension before the visitor visa expires. Please be advised not to enter the country with a landing visa, which may not be extended. More information may be found at Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA).
Exchange students, who will stay for two semesters and hold ordinary passports or other legal travel documents, may apply for resident visa.
Fall Semester (September – January): April 30
Spring Semester (February – June): October 30
Application Materials Required
- Passport-size photo
- Official Enrollment Certificate
- Latest official transcript in English
- Autobiography, signed and dated
- Study plan for the exchange period, signed and dated
- Recommendation letters, signed and dated (at least 2)
- Bank statement issued by a financial institution
- A financial statement is to verify that the student has at least NT$100,000 (approx. $3,279.76 USD), available for one academic year, or NT$50,000 (approx. $1,639.88 USD) for one academic semester to support his/her exchange program financially.
- Information page of passport
- Certificate(s) of Chinese language or English language proficiency (optional)
- Other supporting documents (optional; Students who are required to provide their portfolios, may upload file(s) here.)
: All prospective exchange students shall refer to Extra Requirements by Departments AY 2014/2015 for specific requirements posted by NCKU departments and institutes.